Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Denver Art museum

Past weekend we had a visit to Denver Art museum. It was our first too (I can't believe how long it took us). We loved it so much, it's huge and they had lots of activities for kids that day.
I read a few good articles about preparing a child for a visit to an art museum, they helped a lot with organizing our trip and most important thing I learned was- don't try to see all at once (tempting it was to me).

Exploring the Art Museum: Making the Most of Your Child's First Visit

Visiting an Art Museum With Children


D. wasn't really interested in activities offered for children at the museum, save for the building section where children built towers with different materials.
Our main activities were :
1. Looking at portraits, we talked about different techniques, colors, clothing and facial expressions. We noticed that most people do not smile at portraits. I'm planning a portrait activity later in the week.
2. Couple of days before the museum visit I gave D. a small sketchbook, plus we dug up the pencil case I made for him a few months ago. He took both to the museum and then attempted to sketch his favorite painting. I think it turned out pretty good- he did outlines in the museum (seeing him sitting on the bench, his pencil case spread out, all serious and attentive was priceless) and finished picture at home using oil pastels.
D.'s pick-

By June the Light Begins to Breathe, Keith Jacobshagen

 


D.'s version
                                           
We had a really good time and again, hurray for free days, I'm really really grateful for those :) On the way out we picked lots of postcards at the gift shop and I found Dover art stickers books which we will use later for our lessons.

3 comments:

  1. A wonderful idea ~ we are heading to the museum this march break ~ thinking we shall do this. Thanks
    Shanti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just found your blog through Natural Suburbia and it seems we have a lot in common! I live in Aurora and am currently homeschooling my oldest also (she just turned 6). Most of my friends have preschoolers and younger, so I feel like I'm sort of pioneering, which is why I am loving all your wonderful links :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by,Shanti <3

    Hi,Nikki, thank you for visiting, I understand you completely about being the only one homeschooling, none of our friends do either :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...